Monday, January 9, 2017



"I think you've really got to wait and see how things play out. Sometimes a decision you might consider a regret or a great failure in the present can turn out to be the catalyst for something extraordinary in the end. Some of life's wildest journey's begin with a wrong turn."
-Beau Taplin


I read this quote recently, and it really hit home for me.

I am currently on one of the greatest adventures of my life.

Which would have never been a possibility without, what I felt to be, a never ending series of wrong turns for me.

It's so cool to watch how God plans things to turn out through all of, what you may feel, are the bad seasons. Without my "wrong turns" I wouldn't be where I am today. My "wrong turns" have lead me to living and working in the beautiful place that I am, and dating one of the most amazing men I have ever met.

Que the cheesy and corny love story everybody.

I am a big believer in the concept that in order to know what love is, you have to learn what love is not. And after my fair share of learning what love was not, it was so easy for me to identify what love is and the love that God VERY unexpectedly threw into my life, that shook up my reality and plans all too well.

I'm unrealistically thankful for it.


I arrived in Yosemite National Park ten days after Joey did. I met him on the side of a mountain my second week there. I didn't see him again for about a month and a half after that where I ran into him at work, when I started working night shifts.

Then God was like "Hey Katelyn, ask him to go on the hike that you and your roommate are going on in a couple days."

After debating with myself for what seemed to be forever, I decided to listen. And you guys, Joey said yes. What?

I was honestly shocked.

So we go on the hike and it was pretty neat. But what I forgot to mention, is this hike, was a hike up to the top of Half Dome, and it took 19 hours.

This guy put up with my stubborn and sarcastic butt for 19 hours while climbing to the top of a mountain, when he barely knew me. Now that's impressive.

I cannot say this enough, if God tells you to do something that you find to be absolutely absurd, crazy, unreasonable, or any other word that you can come up with to convince yourself not to listen, please  just listen.

All you need is 5 seconds of insane courage and to say 'Yes" and it could absolutely change your life.

But let me tell you, I'm so glad I listened to God that night, because that same guy is sitting right next to me as I type this. I have had the blessing of dating this man for the last couple months. And I have never felt so much love from a person, other than my family or best friend.

Any example, that my father set for me of how a man should treat a woman, while I was growing up, Joey meets. I have never been so proud to date someone. He opens and holds doors for me, makes my bed for me when I open at work, takes care of me when I'm sick, has me walk farthest away from traffic when on the side of a street, leaves me cute notes, listens to me vent and gives me advice, and never let's me go a day without knowing that I'm loved and cared about. I have never felt so utterly comfortable, or felt such a strong connection, so soon, with someone.

I'm so excited for the day I get to introduce him to my parents and family, and that's huge for me.

I could go on for hours about this kid. But, the point that I'm really trying to get across is please listen to God's plan for your life. Listen to that little voice in your head. No matter how crazy something seems, how shy you are, how utterly outrageous it could be, how much you fear rejection or failure, find 5 seconds of insane courage and say yes.

Leave your job, buy a pet, ask someone on a date, say yes to a date, buy a new pair of shoes, try a new coffee shop other than the one you visit everyday, stop and talk to a person on the street, whatever it may be that God puts on your heart to do, do it. Because it could just end up being the best thing you will ever do.

Your "wrong turns" could turn into everything going right from it. And trust me, you won't want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment