Saturday, August 27, 2016
"Culinary school is a waste of time. You'll never make enough to pay off those loans."
Two sentences: two sentences spoken to me was all it took to bring such a frustration that consumed my mind nearly all day.
And that's okay.
After more thinking than necessary, it's okay that this person felt the need to express their opinion to me. Unwanted at the time or not, it brought a frustration forth that has ultimately made me realize that the frustration I've felt today has been passion. Passion about my career path and life choices.
What this person doesn't know is that I am in this really strange season of my life, where I could travel, work, move, go anywhere that God calls me, and I will continue to chase my dreams. And I might fall flat on my face at some point. I may be paying off student loans for the next 10, 20, 30 years. I may never make enough to pay off my loans. I may never make it to the top. I may never be the world's views of what success is.
But then again, maybe I will.
And the really cool thing is, I have no idea what is going to happen, or what I am going to face on this journey.
However; what I do know is this. I know that I am not taking the easy way out. I know I may never become a huge success story or make millions, but that isn't why I'm in this industry. I know that God's plan is bigger. I know that I will never spend a day of my life working a 9-5 job at a desk, in an office, in some huge city, that I absolutely hate. I know that every day I go to work I have ample opportunity to learn. I know that everyday I have the blessing, to make a living doing what I am most passionate about. I know that I have the ability to serve God's people. I know that I have gained numerous amounts of knowledge in the last two years of my life. I know that my life choices have brought me to the place I am at now and I wouldn't change anything I've gone through. I know that for the rest of my life I will be doing what I love, with the talents and passion given to me by God, and God alone.
I also know that not everyone can say that. I am so unbelievably blessed.
So no, dear stranger, I may never be your version of success, but as of right now, I am my own version of success.
And all of this is more than okay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment